Friday, November 14, 2014

Rigid Structure :: Fluid Movement

These are my ramblings about my thesis as I produce new work. Hopefully you can make sense of this, because I'm sure as hell having a hard time understanding it myself (haha)


Philosopher (and hero) Delueze talks about the striated and smooth space in his book, A Thousand Plateaus. These three images above were a quick study at these two concepts. The striated space representing a pre-existing structured system, (such as a government, hierarchy or the city) while the smooth space is more like an avenue of alternative thinking. The object of the sketch problem was to take a structured system, a grid, and then create folds within that system. The folds are a new way of thinking of the grid and with that, new modes of interaction start to occur. When flattened and collapsed on themselves, they start to show new lines of flight, which begin to talk on an architectonic level. As I continue my thesis, this mode of research will begin to [re]structure a new way of seeing the interstitial. (more images like this to come...)


No comments:

Post a Comment